Friday, January 19, 2007
AHHHHHH Substance
As I am homeschooling my oldest daughter, I have to admit I do not have a passion for History. But I take it in strides, and I am learning some things also. So today in History we are learning about Michelangelo. All through the lesson my daughter looks at the sculptures very hesitantly and keeps saying how real they look, too real. At the end of the lesson I asked her if there were any works by Michelangelo she liked and she said not really. I said why? She says "Well a lot of them are sculptures of Jesus, and we do not know what he looks like, and isn't it kind of an idol?" My response; when she was little she wanted to draw a picture of God. 1) How do you draw God? 2) Is that a bad thing for a little child to draw? These were the 2 questions that I presented to a friend of my husbands and mine. He said something along the lines of, when you think of Jesus it should be a feeling of worship, his image should arouse those same feelings. So pics. of Jesus in childrens coloring books, story books, and so forth should bring forth those feelings of worship also? However we are not to worship idols, even pics. and sculptures of our Lord. Just to make clear, I have several childrens books in my home that depict Christ, so do not think that I am saying they are bad, however it is pretty tricky because my oldest questions everything and I provide answers as best I can. If I am not sure, we will look it up. So, how do you look upon a beautiful piece of art like the Pieta and not think about what Jesus did for us? See this post has a little substance. :)





